Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Triathlon

This Mother's Day I decided I would do a triathlon. It's been about 4 years since I've done one but I had a few church friends doing this one, so I thought it would be great to do it with them. We had so much fun...minus the race!! Well, just for me I think. We started in the lake, which went really well. Then you run out of the lake to your bike. About a mile into the bike I felt my shoe lace get caught in my pedal, so I came to a stop to fix it but forgot my foot was connected to the pedal so I slowly just fell over. It was quite comical. It didn't hurt or damage anything so I just retied my shoe and hopped back on. Then, at mile 8 the ride got really difficult, but not because of the terrain, but because I had a FLAT!! I just knew I was done. True triathletes stop and fix their own flat, but there was no way I could do that so I just figured an aid on the course could drive me back. Well, there was no one ahead or behind me for as far as I could see, so I decided to just pedal slowly til I saw someone that could help. I pedaled for a good 10 minutes before I saw anyone so by then I decided I could ride on the flat, just go slow, get to the transition area, and then take off on the run to make up some time. The funny/frustrating part was that people were passing me that I had already passed telling me to "keep up the good work" and "you're almost to the finish, keep going!" I wanted to scream "I have a flat" but then everyone would think I was dumb for riding on a flat tire, so I didn't say anything and just wanted to get back to the transition area as fast as possible. I finally made it and sprinted the whole run to try to make up my time from the slow bike ride. It was alot of fun and after the race is the best part; eating, visiting, talking about your race and taking pics. It was a great mother's day and I can't wait to do another one and NOT get a flat tire and see what my time would be!

6am Sunday morning

almost time to swim




me, JD, Rachel and Chrissy...we all finished!!



4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Agh!!! I have meant to ask you about this every time we have talked but it seems like I always forget. Glad you blogged it! Looks like so much fun! I want to do one soo bad but now that I am pregnant again it will be another year. You are a trooper for riding on a flat--I cant believe that!!!

Brie said...

Ay to go!!!

Nikki McCallum said...

Wow, Brittany! I can officially declare myself beyond lazy!

Crystal said...

This is awesome Brittany! Way to go! Also, we have the same jogging stroller.