Friday, December 11, 2015

A Christmas mishap

In the little community we live in they have started a fun little tradition call "you've been elfed" where a family will drop off presents to another family anonymously!  Then that family will pay if forward and "elf" another family.  So, today we came home to wrapped Christmas presents on our doorstep. 

They all had Christmas tags with the kids' names on them but none of them said who they were from. We immediately thought we had been elfed!  The kids were so excited to see what we got and then started thinking about who we could elf later!  As we got them all inside and they started opening the gifts we were surprised at what they got. The pictures of others who have been elfed were Christmas hats and hot cocoa and candy and a board game...but the kids were opening remote control cars, Cowboys hoodies and Under Armour socks. Richard and I started thinking this was too extravagant and I panicked!  I immediately called my sister to locate my mom and come to find out it was her!  We had just opened the kids' Christmas gifts in 30 seconds without her even being able to see a moment of it! I was devastated!! 

You see, I had yet to wrap any gifts for the kids so they don't have anything under the tree yet. Teague has been very distraught about this so my mom thought she could sneak her gifts under our tree to keep him guessing on where they came from for the next several weeks.  Unfortunately, I had no idea she was planning this cool surprise and she had no idea our community had a "you've been elfed" tradition, and the result was a horrible Christmas mishap!! 

On the bright side, I'm thankful for a Mimi that drives 3 hours to surprise the kids and laughs when it all goes wrong! 

So I guess in a horrible wonderful way, The Hollingsworth's were elfed...by the best Mimi ever!

No comments: