Monday, January 02, 2017

2017 Word

As I look back over all my words I love the progression the Lord has brought me through.  In 2010 I heard on the radio about the concept of a word instead of a New Year's resolution.  It sounded like something I could do so I thought I'd give it a try.  I was 6 months out from the divorce and starting to feel like my feet were back under me a bit, so I chose the word Adventure. The next year my life began to feel more and more "normal" and I wanted to continue to seek Him just as fervently in the good times so the word was Crave.  I then met Richard and the boys and I moved to be closer to him and my 2013 word was Community as we looked to find a church home and get plugged in.  We got married later that year and 2014's word was Legacy as we learned how to join our families as one.  I didn't feel too successful at that one so I made it my 2015 word also.  In 2016 I chose the word Lead as I am starting to feel comfortable in my career and looking for ways to better my classroom.  It has been a fun 7 years! And I know this year won't disappoint!  

My 2017 word is extraordinary.

We've all heard the saying "hurt people hurt people." There is a lot of truth in that and it has helped me change my perspective when dealing with others.  You could substitute many words in the place of hurt to change the statement, but my favorite is "free people free people."  In this case free meaning not under the control of another.  My life is far from perfect and I still have lots of areas of refinement in which the Lord must work, but overall I do feel "free".  Acts 13:39 states "through Him everyone who believes is freed from all things, from which you could not be freed through the Law of Moses."  I still sin and seek His forgiveness daily, but through Him sin no longer has control of me, and that makes me free.

 This caused me to look at my life.  If I am free am I helping others find freedom?  As of now, the answer is no.  My life does not look radically different.  Oh I pray for others and read my bible and go to church, but my life is not radically changing others.  Francis Chan has the best quotes on this...


Acts 3 is a perfect example of this.  Peter and John met a crippled man at the temple gate who was begging for money. They told him they didn't have any money but what they did have they would give to him and with that statement Peter grabbed his arm and said "in Jesus' name, walk". And he did. That's faith!!  That's a moment where you are desperate for Him to come through or you're screwed, as Fransic Chan puts it.  Peter didn't sit down with him and ask him if he could pray for him.  No!!  Peter was so sure of his faith and the authority behind his faith that he put action behind it.  There is nothing wrong with praying for others, but what if we took our authority in His name and put it to action!  What if?? 

Free people free people.

The definition of extraordinary is: very unusual or remarkable. Synonyms being exceptional, unbelievable, phenomenal, astonishing.  So, my goal is to take this year and really pursue an extraordinary life.  To look for those needing freedom in whatever way they need it and pour out the love of Christ on them in a bold way.  My pastor from Lubbock wrote "the only part of the gospel you believe is the part you do."  I want my life to look like the gospel and the gospel includes extraordinary faith with extraordinary results. I don't want my life to make sense to unbelievers.  I want Him to use my life to draw others towards Him because I chose to do it His way and His way will always be extraordinary! 




No comments: