Wednesday, December 20, 2017

That one gift





This time of year is always so special and memorable and I try to fill my own children's lives with sight and smells and tastes that will last forever!  I want them to hold to these memories when they are older and pass them to their kids, but sometimes I forget that this time of year is different for others. It holds hurts or wounds or memories that are not pleasant or brings to the forefront the fact that they may not have as much as others.  

As the presents came streaming in today from my students I have them put them on a table at the front of the classroom.  They are all frilly and beautiful and wrapped in red and green.  As I sat at my desk to check attendance, one little girl comes up with the biggest smile and brought to my desk a Walmart sack.  My heart ached.  Her story is not one I'd wish on anyone, but she exudes joy and love and she is just precious!  She placed it in my hands and said "Merry Christmas" and skipped off to her desk.     






















I waited until the class went off to PE to open any of the presents and as I opened the bag I had to fight back tears. It was a well loved little stuffed animal.  I can only imagine it was her most favorite one...and she choose to give it!  What a servant's heart this little girl has and oh how she reminded me of the spirit of giving.  I called her over and explained that as much as I loved the stuffed animal, he would not be happy without her.  I hugged her and she hugged me back long and tight.  I told her I loved her and her thoughtfulness and that every time she loved on her stuffed animal at home I wanted her to remember how much Mrs. Hollingsworth loves her. 


























In the hustle and bustle this time of year brings, I am thankful for the moments that make me stop and remember what this season is really about; moments that make me shine Jesus.  All too often I get going fast and I can only imagine how many opportunities I miss when I get in that mode.  I am thankful that today I got at least one thing right.  I am thankful for the love of this sweet little girl.  I am thankful for the One who gave it all! 

No comments: