Sunday, December 24, 2017

When the answer is “No”

How do we react when we get the answer “no”? Richard and I try to teach the kids that their reaction to our no is a reflection of their maturity. When we are met with screaming and yelling or justifying and manipulation to try to change the no into a yes, it reaveals character. I think this is same way with us and God as well. This week He gave in lesson in “No” and that even a no carries a reward and blessing.

Early this week I felt like He gave me an encouraging word for an aquaintence of mine. He brought a specific book to mind so that afternoon I set out looking for that book to give to her. After 4 stores I was having no luck. Had I heard wrong? Why was this book so difficult to find? Why would He give me a word if I wasn’t supposed to tell her? I ended up going home and praying for clarification.

The next morning I was awoken at 5am again with this on my mind and now a new task. A friend across the hall at school had her classroom Keurig break and I felt the Lord point out a store and say go buy her a new one. I got excited because maybe the book was also at this store?!? So I jumped up got ready and left the house early to find these two items! As I started down the book section I wasn’t having any luck. I looked and looked and just knew it had to be there, but it wasn’t. So I headed to the coffee aisle and as I stood in front of the Keurig section I heard God say “No, don’t buy her this.” What?!? It’s 6:30am and I came all the way out here and now nothing? I’m leaving empty handed?  Oh the confusion!!!

So I started off towards school. I sat in my room, busy with the days’ plans, when I heard my friend come in for the day and go into her room. My heart was sad because I wished I could have surprised her with a new coffeemaker. But not 10 minutes later I heard her squealing and saying “thank you, thank you, thank you!”  I ran into her room to see what was going on and another friend had surprised her with a Keurig!!  She shared with us that that exact Keurig style was the same one she used to make her Dad his last cup of coffee before he passed away about a month ago.  She was in tears and God not only provided for her, but did so in God like fashion!! She was supposed to have THAT Keurig!!























As I went back to my classroom so many thoughts flooded my mind and it’s taken a few days to process it all with the Lord, but I’ve come away with these truths:
~I am clearly hearing His voice
~The coffeemaker “no” confirms the book “no”
~Just because it’s “no” right now doesn’t mean it will always be a “no”...keep listening
~He is pleased with obedience even when it doesn’t make sense to me

I have been so blessed by this experience and my faith, yet again, has been stretched and grown! He is faithful and good and I pray if you are stuck in a “no” situation that you lean into Him and see how He blesses you through it!




1 comment:

Unknown said...

This is sooo good! And like a once a week occurrence in my life lol