Wednesday, February 09, 2011

The threshing floor

A few months back I started a Bible study on Ruth called "Ruth: loss, love and legacy". It was such a great study that I thought I would teach it to the girls in my youth group. I have found over the years of teaching that I learn something so much better and on a deeper level when I teach it, and sure enough it was proven true again while teaching Ruth.

In the middle of the book of Ruth, Naomi tells Ruth to get cleaned up, put on her best clothes and perfume and go to Boaz and express her love. They both knew Boaz was working at the threshing floor that evening, so off Ruth went. I started to imagine what Ruth most have been thinking as she made that walk to Boaz. She had lost her husband and now found herself in foreign territory and was taking a huge risk in expressing her love for Boaz. On her walk there I bet she was nervous and had a ton of questions on whether her actions were right or wrong and I bet she was even excited that she could be in love again! Over the last two years, I know those are the feelings that I have had. But what struck me as the scariest part of that walk for Ruth was that she had to go to the threshing floor alone. Naomi had been there the whole time to talk to and gossip with, and Naomi would be there afterwards, but in that moment, she had to walk that path alone.

A few weeks back Chris and I were getting his car washed and he left the car to pay and I stayed in the car only to be backed into by another car who did not see Chris' car there. Chris heard the collision and ran back out and the man in the other car got out and to our surprise it was a worker from the business we were at. About that time, the owner of the other vehicle came out of the store to see what had happened. Both Chris and the other gentleman were upset, but since it was an employee driving the car it somehow made the situation easier to handle. They both had someone to commiserate with so it was more bearable than if they had been alone. This got me to thinking; going through a problem with your spouse or friend really does make it easier! And, at least for me, I would tend to lean on that person to lighten my load. Having a buddy to experience it with takes some of the sting out of the situation. And oh how I wish I had had someone to go through divorce with me, but then God really started speaking to me about my own threshing floor and that there are times we must go there alone.

Even though God has surrounded me with so many wonderful people, I still had to walk the path of divorce solo. Everyone has advice and a position on it and encouraging words through it, but ultimately, I had to do it with just me and God. And now, post divorce, I am still navigating through by myself wondering just the same things Ruth was wondering, plus some about dating. There are few in my position and I am lucky for the woman God has brought into my life that have been through divorce, dating and remarriage. I know I rely on them heavily to help me through this season in life. With lots of prayer, I know God will guide me right where I am supposed to be, as long as I keep listening.

The end of Ruth's story is a happy one and I believe it's through the lonely walks to the threshing floor that you find yourself and learn to lean on God more than you ever would if you had your friends by your side. I am thankful for these moments because I know without them, I would not have the kind of relationship I have with my King.

No comments: