Sunday, May 13, 2012

Mother's Day

This Mother's Day has been emotional although I am not real sure why. I'm hoping to find some peace in getting my thoughts out of my head and onto the paper. I think overwhelmed and sad would be the two words that come to mind this Mother's Day. This weekend the boys were not with me, so that made me a little sad. I did get them back early on Sunday and I tried to make the most of my "me time" by napping and running and blogging, but the sadness was not just that they were not with me, most moms plead for a little "me time" on Mother's Day, but it was because this is not what God or I intended for my family; every other weekend exchanges, with special considerations on Mother's Day/Father's Day/Holidays/and birthdays, etc... The whole thing just upsets me and reminds me that life is not fair.

But then God brought me back to a place of thanksgiving, in the fact that I have children to love who are so special to me. I know several out there who want children desperately and for whatever reason can not have children right now. I also know a few grieving the loss of a child that made them a mom for a short period. And all too close to home, I encounter three sweet hearts missing their mom today as she is in Heaven. Which brings back the word sad because it breaks my heart to think their mom doesn't get to enjoy them every day, and they didn't get near enough time getting to know their mom. It brings tears to my eyes that I am the one that gets to hug them or hear about their school trips or watch them play ball. It's not fair that their mother is not here with them...but life's not fair.

Along with the sadness, I feel overwhelmed. God brought this special family in my life and I am being given the opportunity to love on these children as if they were my own. Sounds easy enough, but then I wonder if I am doing a good job. Am I showing them how to be a God-fearing Christ follower? Am I showing them how to serve selflessly? Am I teaching them how to love others? Would their mother be proud of the job I'm doing? It's overwhelming at times, and today seemed to magnify those feelings.

Proverbs 31:28-29
Her children praise her, and with great pride her husband says, "There are many good women, but you are the best!"


This verse is my heart's desire and I pray as the years continue, God will help me look more and more like the Proverbs 31 woman.

1 comment:

Jenna @ Sharing My Jennarocity said...

I am so surprised your visitation schedule doesn't include that you always have the boys the weekend of Mother's Day and he always gets them Father's Day, regardless of which weekend those weekends fall. You might want to think about adding that, it's only fair and both of you benefit from it. I am sorry you were sad!!