Sunday, October 18, 2015

10 months in

It's been ten months since I 
re-committed to my yearly word Legacy. And I feel like I'm doing much better this year...or maybe I'm just now starting to see fruit from a 2 year long pursuit.  Either way, it's exciting.

So a few days ago Richard and I were sitting in our old people rockin' chairs discussing life and we were talking about the education system. The 9 year olds are in a STAAR grade and we were informed that due to all the preparation needed that they will no longer have recess nor will they get any breaks throughout the day since there is so much to cover. This breaks my heart and infuriates me all at the same time. I'm wishing we could pull them out and home school them, but finances won't allow that. I'm wondering if I should make an appointment with the school admin to show them all the research on how kids flourish in environments where they are given free choice and brain breaks and exploratory play. I'm looking up state laws on opting out of the test all together...but then I'm reminded of the verse in the Bible that says we are called to be in the world but not of the world.  I have spent the last few days praying about what to do.

Just yesterday Baylee came home from a night of going to haunted houses with her friends and asked me about mediums and psychics.  It was neat to be able to share with her what the Bible says about that and that is when God confirmed two things in me.
1) Again, we are called to be in the world and not of the world. Even though I hate standardized testing, there is a lot the boys can learn from it. There will be lots of situations in life where the outcome is a lot less important than the lessons learned by going through it; like trying hard and doing your best, like being confident in your abilities, like finding your worth in Christ despite any score on a test.  So, in this inopportune education system I am going to choose to use it to stengthen the kids and teach them lessons that they can carry with them forever.
2) In the area of Legacy, I'm glad that Baylee felt safe enough to come to us to ask tough questions. If she wasn't "in" the world, there would be no opportunity for her to see something, question it, seek out answers and then to commit to her own belief. I pray that we will always create an environment where they can seek and find the Lord and that through that they will build their own faith foundation before entering this crazy world on their own. Maybe, just maybe, we are doing something right!!

1 comment:

alegna79 said...

Having my kids in a school system in a different country/culture has been eye opening to me. They generally go to school only half a day, either morning or afternoon. There is a 5 min break between every 45 min lesson plus a 15 min break once in the day. My older daughter went to the "American school" which had a more traditional 8:30-3:00 day but with the 5 min breaks plus 2 15 min and lunch and recess. They have to spend one of these breaks outside to get fresh air. We do not have standardized testings, but at the end of 6th grade, 9th grade (end of middle school), and high school there is a big comprehensive test over all they have learned through the past years. The kids here really study, and the exam scores determine which middle, high school or university you are able to get into. Even with no standardized tests and with all of these breaks in the day which is half the time of American schools, Poland scores higher in Math and Science than America. Oh and they also go on a crazy amount of field trips. I am so thankful for my kids to have this opportunity. Kids need to have wiggle time in order to pay attention better in class. I am sad to see they are taking this away. But your attitude will help they have a good attitude as well! :)