Sunday, August 06, 2017

Fruit

While hanging out with the girls the other day, we asked a question of one another...What is your most defining moment in the Lord?  We took turns answering, but that question has stuck with me over the last week and I have continued to answer it over and over in my head.

I would have to say that understanding Galatians 6:7 would be my defining moment.  It says "Do not be deceived, God will not be mocked; for whatever a man sows, this he will also reap."

As my summer comes to end, I find myself tired.  I know the summer is supposed to be rejuvenating, but between time spent with the kids and all the activities for the youth, I end up exhausted.  And I know myself well enough to know that when I get tired, my mind gets attacked.  I wear many hats, but parenting would be right at the top, under Christ follower and wife.  Over the last several weeks I have found myself asking the same question; Does what I'm doing even matter?  I think every mom has asked this question at one time or another and being in a blended family makes it all the more difficult.  Galatians 6 goes on to say, " Let us not lose heart in doing good, for in due time we will reap if we do not grow weary."  IF WE DO NOT GROW WEARY!  I am there!  Weary and tired and worn out and wondering does it even matter.

As I have wrestled with those feelings, the Lord has been so kind.  He has given me verse after verse and words from friends and even revelations that have changed my thinking.

The Lord has shown me that the Bible talks about fruit a lot: good fruit and bad fruit.  He highlighted many verses and also people in my life that have good fruit.  I look at Richard and the youth group and see not only the teens as his fruit but also the leaders that continue to follow under his discipleship decades later...that's good fruit.  I look at my pastor's wife and how she always has so much wisdom to offer when I have a question...that's good fruit.  I look at my friends and see how they love and lead and serve selflessly...that all good fruit.  But then the Lord highlighted Bridgette, Richard's late wife.  He showed me how she prayed diligently for the future of her family as she left this earth.  We are good fruit due to her.  Stepping into a widowed family is difficult on so many levels.  The Lord warned me and prepared me and has grown me so much through choosing to take on this task.  But, as hard as our toughest days are, we are still good fruit due to the prayers of others.

This morning I received this encouraging word from a good friend:
I saw your family as a garden of plants and the Lord removing boarders that were keeping certain plants from attaching to the root system and blossoming.  Be encouraged that the Lord wants nothing in between each plant and that He is fertilizing and watering the garden so that it's all connected and one prospering garden.  Anything that is preventing air, sun, water and healthy soil for optimal growth is being tended to.  The Father hears and is at work in the Hollingsworth garden.

The hard truth is that good fruit can take awhile and there may even be times when we don't get to personally enjoy the good fruit.  BUT, our prayers and efforts are not in vain due to the promise in  Galatians 6:7.  We will reap what we sow!  Today the Lord gave me Psalm 27:14: "Wait for the Lord, be strong and let your heart take courage; yes, wait for the Lord."

So, I will continue to wait for the Lord to do what only He can do and know that sowing good will bring good.  It's His promise.  I will choose to trust Him even when I can not see it fully!




















"Blessed is the man who trusts in the Lord and whose trust is the Lord.  For he will be like a tree planted by the water, that extends its roots by a stream and will not fear when the heat comes; but its leaves will be green, and it will not be anxious in a year of drought nor cease to yield fruit."
Jeremiah 17:7-8

No comments: