Thursday, September 13, 2018

When nations collide

This past week, Richard and I had the pleasure of hosting 3 young men and a leader associated with the Amani Children's choir from Uganda.  The choir has been in America on tour since March and has been to many states, with Texas being their last stop.  We were so excited to be chosen to be a host home!  When we first met them they were so polite and well spoken, but all week they just continued to amaze us!  We fell in love with Ryan, Benjamin, Elisa, and Posiano.  They were the perfect house guests!  They made their own lunches, cleaned up after themselves, asked to be excused from the table, led Bible studies nightly, offered to help in anyway possible...the list could go on and on.  I told Richard that our kids are going to have a wake up call once they leave because I will now be expecting the same from them!  :)  

They all shared many stories of life back home and were very patient with all of our questions.  Elisa wants to be a doctor, Ryan wants to be an accountant, Benjamin wants to be a lawyer.  Posiano will be getting married in January so we heard all about African wedding traditions. It was a true blessing to serve them all week and to spend time getting to know them.  



























We took them to see the Baylor bear and the Baylor campus one day.  The boys didn't believe us when we said it was a real bear we were going to see. Lucky for us, the bear put on quite a show!


On Saturday evening we had some people over for games and food.  At about 8pm, Posiano asked everyone to grab their Bible for a Bible study.  Sweet Ryan led the study by reading a portion of scripture and sharing what it meant to him.  He then asked us what it meant to us and we were able to share.  Afterwards, they took prayer requests and we all took turns praying.  It was amazing to see that 10 year old lead so well.  





On Sunday they put on a show at church in the morning and in the evening.  They sang and danced and played the drums and shared scripture with us.  They are truly an inspiration!



After everyone got home from school during the week, our evenings were filled with food and games and just hanging out with one another.  They were always up for whatever the kids wanted to do. They played in the basement and outside on the trampoline and rode the 4 wheeler and played in the shop and even had a night time jam session with drum beats and dancing.  They were pure joy all of the time!








This week has been one that will forever stay with me.  It changed a lot about me, my thoughts and the top of my heart's desire.  I pray the boys will always remember these sweet children and maybe one day venture to Uganda to see them again or help others just like them.  As they were preparing to leave I felt my heart ache because I wanted them to stay...or I wanted to go with them...I just wanted to be around them.  I felt the Lord gently ask "What are you chasing?"  I guess my answer was the joy, the simplicity, the wisdom, and the love.  I am praying that I can take what they brought into our home and better myself, my family and others around me.  This experience was far beyond anything I can put into words and will probably be the pinnacle of my 2018 word Others, but who knows...God may have more up His sleeve!!  


1 comment:

Winona Henry said...

Wonderful! Thank you for sharing.