Sunday, January 09, 2022

A new tradition

As I wrapped up my one word tradition last year I have not felt led to choose a word for 2022. I have loved the tradition of having one word to focus on. 11 years worth of words and as I look back over then the growth I have experienced is amazing! However, I have started reading a book that gave me a new idea. The book is Secrets in the Secret Place. 


















This book has short chapters that have wisdom and practical ways to make your secret place a powerful and life giving place. One chapter stuck out to me and I immediately put it into practice: praying scripture. Of course I pray during my quiet time but this spiritual discipline took prayer to a different level. Here is what the author said about the why behind praying scripture:

“Praying with the language of God’s word is powerful for several reasons:

~His word is living and powerful, so when we pray with His words on our lips, our prayers are living and powerful.

~Praying the word gives us confidence we’re praying according to God’s will.

~As we speak God’s word back to Him, our tongue is ignited by the fire of heaven rather than the fire of hell.

~Praying the Scripture adds a dimension of creativity and surprise to our prayer life, which in turn makes prayer more fascinating and enjoyable.”

The author recommends choosing a Psalm and praying and reading simultaneously. There are a ton of Psalms so I everyday I have asked the Lord to give me a number and then I go to that Psalm and read/pray it. Everyday it was the exact thing I needed to hear… and pray, apparently! So this year I am choosing to incorporate a new spiritual discipline into my quiet time. I am excited to see how the scriptures saturate my heart and how that prayer shapes my year! 



No comments: