Saturday, May 01, 2010

A new addition

I have been thinking about getting another dog for a month or so and decided I wanted to adopt one from a shelter here in town. I have been visiting the shelter about once a week and really didn't see a dog that looked like it would fit into our family. I feel like I have high expectations after Chip. I wanted a larger dog, who doesn't shed too much, that is good with kids and other dogs, not a puppy, loves to go to the park and camping and run, etc... The ladies at the shelter knew us by name when we would go by and look at the dogs. About a week ago I saw two that were prospective adoptees, McKenna, a rottweiler-lab-hound mix and Chloe, a doberman pincher. McKenna caught my eye because she was the only dog to just sit and look back at us instead of jumping and barking as we walked from kennel to kennel. I asked to see her outside her kennel and they let us take her to a big fenced in area to get to know each other, walk and play. She did very well with Teague and Troy. I still wasn't 100% sold on her, but before I could ask to see Chloe they told me that Chloe was not good with other dogs, so she was off the list. A few days later I thought I would go back and see if McKenna was still there. She was and the ladies at the front told me that a few other families have visited with her and none of them were as good with her as Troy and Teague. I decided to get her out of her kennel again just to double check how we interact and again, she was so sweet and gentle. I decided to go ahead and put in an application on her. A couple days later the manager called and said that she talked to my landlord and he does not allow aggressive breeds on his property, so I couldn't adopt her. I was so sad.

About a week passed and I went back to see if they had gotten any new dogs in and there was McKenna, still there. The manager was there this time and the ladies at the front desk introduced me to her and told her how well McKenna did with our family and that it is a shame the landlord has that policy. I agreed with her and told her that I had already left a message for him to call me with what breeds were allowed so I didn't become attached to another dog too soon. She then told the lady behind the computer to change McKenna's breed to a Bernese hound dog. I laughed and thought she was kidding and told them if they do change her breed to keep me in mind because she is the one I want. She then said, "No, I'm serious, ask your landlord if you can have a hound dog." I was so excited!!

That was a Friday night so I was going to have to wait til Monday to call him and see if that would be okay. Well, what seemed to be a God moment to start with in them changing her breed, soon turned into something that felt dishonest. My thoughts were racing through what if they found out or saw her or made me give her back. I would be heartbroken. So Monday I decided to tell the shelter that I could not lie even though I know she is not an aggressive dog. But before I had time to call the shelter my landlord returned my message about what breeds he allowed. He asked if I knew the name of the dog I wanted at the shelter, and of course I said McKenna. He said that he was out at the Poppy Festival (a big outdoor fair with lots of booths) this weekend and the shelter had a booth and he met McKenna at their booth. He said she is a great dog and he sees no problem in me getting her despite her rottweiler genes! I was speechless!!! I was going to get McKenna after all and I wasn't even going to have to be dishonest about it!! I feel like this was just another lesson from God about where my heart truly is and Him asking "How badly do you really want to be like Me??"

Here are some pics. She loves to play ball in the backyard and just sit and have her belly rubbed. She is a great addition to our family and I am so glad we are able to give her a good home.





7 comments:

Nikki McCallum said...

Awww...She is a cutie! She looks like she'll let the boys love all on her with no complaints at all.

Elizabeth said...

She is soo cute!!! And a good lesson too :)

Anonymous said...

Aw thats so awesome! She looks sweet! Only a few weeks til we get to get away!!!!

Jen said...

What a sweet looking dog! I bet the boys are going to have a lot of fun with the new addition to the family!

phillippians4:6 said...

She is the cutest dog!! So glad you got her! Gave me chill bumps reading how it all worked out.

Anonymous said...

She's beautiful!! I'm so glad I got to meet her and see you!!!
Rachel

Jenna @ Sharing My Jennarocity said...

I am so happy you got a new addition! I love dogs so much...she looks completely adorable! I remember back in college you said you would never get a dog, I am so glad you have grown to love them now. :-)