Sunday, December 04, 2011

Adventure #19

Putting up the Christmas decorations is always something I have done the first weekend in December for the last two years because the boys are usually gone and I have the time to get it all just like I want it and when they get home "It's Christmas!" as Troy would say whenever he sees anything Christmasy. But this year, I ended up having the boys and thought since they are older it might be fun to include them in the decorating. It wasn't quite as peaceful as it normal is, but it was an adventure so what else can I ask for!!

We started Saturday morning by going out and getting a tree. Since I had the boys I wasn't able to lay all my seats down in the car, but figured the guys could load it in and let it stick out the back window. Well, the place I decided to get the tree from this year wasn't quite as prepared as I would have liked. I checked out with my sticker for the tree and then the cashier asked if I needed help. I guess I looked like I could handle a 6-7 foot tree on my own with two kids?!?! I said "yes, please" and he called over a young lady smaller than me!! I knew this was not going to go well!! So we walked outside and I showed her the one I wanted and she looked as puzzled as I was and said she would be right back with a guy from inside. I thought, "now we are getting somewhere" but no, she shows up with a man not bigger than us and well into his 50's...not that 50 is old, but come on, I need some muscle to help me with this tree!! He was able to get it out of the pile and drag it to my car where he put it in and then said "I don't think it's going to fit"...really, I kinda figured that?!?! I was getting a bit frustrated on top of the boys asking a million questions and just talking to make noise, which made it harder to think and communicate with the woman, who was now in my car pulling the tree and the man outside pushing it!! He decided to cut some string off the tree and rig my back hatch to keep it as closed as possible while I drove home. The whole way Troy was saying "it's gonna fall out, it's gonna fall out!" But it didn't and we made it home.



My next task was getting it inside and on the stand.  Last year, this was so easy so I wasn't too worried.  I drug the tree inside and got the stand situated and then stood it up but it wasn't straight so it tipped.  I tried to mess with the stand screws to get it straight and it just wasn't working, so I laid it back down and started over... and over and over.  I think I tried this 3 times, all the while the boys are on the couch watching cartoons and telling me "it's leaning" or "it's gonna fall over."  After 2 hours of messing with it, needles all over me, the couch, the floor, and sap and dirt all over my hands I finally got it to lean against the wall and I that was perfectly fine with me at that point.  So here is my leaning Christmas tree, lit and adorned, with packages underneath!  It's so beautiful but I definitely have a love-hate relationship with this tree!!  Who knew Christmas decorating could be so strenuous!!


No comments: