Sunday, December 11, 2011

A Christmas Challenge

The other day Teague was telling me what he wanted for Christmas and Troy told him that he needed to tell Santa, not me, and he was in the sky and he could just talk to him. Troy proceeded to tell Santa what he wanted and then Teague followed suit. I told them Santa is at the North Pole and can't just hear them like he is God. We would have to go visit Santa to tell him their requests and that only God can hear them like that when they pray.

So now that the boys are getting older and starting to really get into the magic of Christmas, I am struggling with how to keep the magic of Christmas alive and also keep the meaning of Christmas at the forefront. We have talked a lot about the season and Baby Jesus was born on Christmas. We have talked about giving to others and helping others out that are less fortunate than us. We have talked about Santa and how good behavior gets you toys. I have seen the Elf on the Shelf and would have bought it had they not been sold out. But I wanted a way to tie it all together without making God seem like a sort of Santa figure that just does what you ask when you pray.   I found this book that seems to do a pretty good job of it. I have it wrapped and it's under the tree for them to open tonight. I also found a website that does videos to the kids from Santa. My plan is to let them watch the videos for each of them and then be able to let them open that one gift from Santa and be able to read the book until Christmas time. As a kid, I understand that God has a hard time competing with a man who brings you free toys, but as an adult, it's hard to believe that God would send us such a special little gift, free for those that believe. Here's to hoping my boys get it!!



No comments: