Sunday, December 18, 2011

Words are Powerful

I have been thinking a lot about the power of words lately. Richard and I had a discussion a while back about words versus actions. We were talking about how actions speak louder than words and so many people these days use their words so flippantly. It amazes me that God only created humans to speak, yet more often than not, we use our words to tear down, not build up. I know one of my spiritual gifts is the gift of encouragement, so I try very hard to say what I am thinking to edify those around me.

As the boys get bigger, I am really starting to see how my words can affect them, both positively and negatively. Every night before bed I tuck in Teague and pray with him and then go into Troy's room and pray with him. Some nights I just want to skip it all together because I am so tired and just want to crash, but I remind myself that it is so important. I feel like I am not only modeling what prayer looks like and how we should talk to God, but I am also speaking blessings over them every night. I am so thankful that God has given me this opportunity, and I do my best not to rush through it. Troy likes to pray after me and it's neat to see where his heart is. And although I always pray specifically for him, he seems to pray for others, which is so sweet. Teague isn't quite there yet, but he does manage to say "thank you, God for my food", and it doesn't matter if it's meal time or not! LOL!! Soooo cute!

I have come to see that my words are also very important to my students. Most of my students come from homes that are not a good environment and I wonder how often they are told they are smart or funny or special. I try to accompany a hug or a pat on the back with words that lift them up and let them know who I think they are, regardless of what they are told, or not told, at home.

And last, I have also been very cognizant about my words with Richard and others who are close to me. I seem to have this "feeling" about when to say something. I think about that clip from 'My Best Friend's Wedding' where Julia Roberts is on the boat with her best friend and she is going to tell him that she loves him and the boat goes under the bridge. We are all just waiting for her to say it and she doesn't and the moment passes her by. I think when those moments arise, I know it and I say what I am feeling or thinking and I pray that God uses it to encourage or build up or maybe just to show love to them. I try very hard not to let those moments pass me by.

I pray I don't forget that my words carry power and I have a responsibility to use them wisely.

Proverbs 16:24 "Gracious words are a honeycomb, sweet to the soul and healing to the bones."



No comments: