Thursday, April 12, 2012

Good-bye Grandpa

On Friday morning, as we headed to Opening Day, I got a call from my sister that my grandpa had passed away. He would have turned 95 in June and despite a couple of bad knees, he was in pretty good health. He lived in an apartment with assisted living and used them mainly for his meals and cleaning. The staff had checked on him that morning but when they went back a few hours later, he had already passed away. They said he was in his recliner watching westerns. I guess if I live to be 95 that is the way I would want to meet Jesus too!

The viewing was Monday and I cherished the time we just got to sit in the state room, in the quiet and reflect, but I also enjoyed hearing Troy's little mind ask those little mind questions about life and death and being able to point him to Jesus.

The funeral was Tuesday and Blake flew in from Puerto Rico so it was nice to see him, even though the circumstances were less than desirable.  I couldn't snap my camera fast enough for the picture to turn out great, but I liked this shot of the four generations of Pippen men.  (Troy is hidden behind my dad)
Because my grandpa was in the military, the Air Force Honor Guard preformed the burial.  It was very emotional and interesting at the same time to watch them fold the flag...


 play Taps...
fire the 21 gun salute and present my dad with the flag and bullet shells.   My grandpa was a great man and I hope that Troy and Teague follow in his footsteps as they grow older.



No comments: