Saturday, February 08, 2014

What is in your heart?

God has been teaching me a lot about the power of words. I know I've done several previous blogs about words in the past, but for some reason it seems like there is always more to learn...or maybe I just haven't yet learned what it is He is wanting me to teach me!

It seems like as a kindergarten teacher and a mother of 5, I am constantly surrounded by words that tear down.  It is either kids at school being mean or the boys at home squabbling or the teenage attitude.  In all cases, it is a lack of knowledge on their part, so I attempt to teach.

Luke 6:45 has been a verse that has stuck with me this month.
"A good person produces good things from the treasury of a good heart, and an evil person produces evil things from the treasury of an evil heart. What you say flows from what is in your heart."

In trying to make this year a year of increasing habits to leave a God honoring legacy, I wrote that verse on our white board in the kitchen.  I explained it to the boys and how their words show others what is in their heart, good or bad.  I find myself saying "if you don't have something nice to say, don't say anything at all" literally ALL DAY!!  It's crazy to me that on a whole positive words are far less common than the negative ones, which I guess goes back to what is in most peoples hearts. I want my kids, whether in my family or in my class, to be the exception to what most people see! 

The more God teaches me about words, the more I am learning how powerful they are and I want the kids to get that.  When you mix Spirit and Truth together, that is when the heart is pierced.  My words alone are powerless, but if I speak Truth (scripture) backed by Holy Spirit ( the right time, attitude, etc...) then my words, whether few or many, are powerful, and those are the kind of words I want to speak on a daily basis.  Doesn't seem too hard, but my personality is to not speak.  I listen really well, but don't want to hurt feelings or assume I know the answer, so I usually just empathize. God convicted me in that by not speaking I am stifling Holy Spirit's words, His words, God's words.  I have the opportunity to speak God's words and I am choosing to keep my mouth shut! How awful!!  

I have really been trying to listen and then speak, whether that be encouragement or knowledge or advice, and then believing God that His power is behind the words and they will be used how He wants them to be used.  I am just the vessel, and it is prideful of me to think that I know what someone needs to hear.  Instead I am trying to just speak the words God gives me and be confident that He can and will use them as He sees fit.  It's been very freeing! 

So as I attempt to put into practice what I am learning and also teach those around me how important words are, I am praying the light of Christ will shine for others to see and His power will be released through me. When I choose to be obedient and speak.



No comments: